Brahmacharya = Brahman + Charya; which means 'Dwelling in the Supreme Being'. But for this 'Celibacy' is a mandatory Prerequisite. That's why people correlate Brahmacharya with Celibacy and it ends up in identifying both as one and the same. Here we would discuss Brahmacharya in terms of Celibacy.
Brahmacharya is a state which once achieved, makes a human insulated to all the kinds of Vikaras. Once this state is attained, we become free of all the attachments, and attractions. This state makes us more focused to realize the supreme being.
Glory of Brahmacharya:- Our saints and scriptures say that a person who could retain his vital fluids within himself without losing even a single drop of it for 12 years, he becomes an 'Akhand Brahmachari'. For such a being, nothing is impossible. he becomes godly in that very same life.
An Akhand Brahmachari can easily realize God within himself. For him Kundalini raises easily and he achieves vision of the supreme being in his Sahasrara Chakra (crown chakra in his head). Such people can also attain astha siddhis easily.
Examples of people who were Akhanda Brahmachari:-
- We have Bheeshma in Mahabharata who remained invincible and invulnerable to anything because of his Brahmacharya. In Virat war, Arjuna fires 'Sammohana Astra' and makes everyone senseless. But Bheeshma just enacts as if he was also victimized. Arjuna tells to Uttar not to touch Bheeshma and says that Sammohanastra can't caste any spell on Bheeshma
- Hanuman, the hero of Ramayana, was a man who faced no defeat in his life. Every work he undertook, success followed him. That's the power of Brahmacharya
- Lakshmana, another hero of Ramayana, practiced Brahmacharya for 14 years and became akhand brahmachari and that's why he could defeat the unbeatable-Meghnad/Indrajeet
- Even Adi Shankaracharya, and Swami Vivekananda kind of Saints practiced Brahmacharya and became victorious in their works. They have also sung the glories of celibacy and taught that Brahmacharya is the best gateway to Salvation
- Brahmacharya in thought:- This is the toughest nut to crack. One can attain physical Brahmacharya by a little practice of Yoga, meditation and Prayers, but erasing the devil inside the mind is not so easy. It requires regular practice, focus, belief and god's blessings to achieve mental brahmacharya
- Brahmacharya in word:- We can achieve this by not uttering any bad words or not using any filthy language. This is not very tough. This can be achieved easily if we remain in good company of friends
- Brahmacharya in deed:- This is a super set of Physical Brahmacharya. A person who doesn't indulge in adultery and related practices achieves this more than 50%. But also there are some other acts where one has to maintain sanctity. e.g. if we are giving alms to a beggar, we should give it as if we are saying thanks to him/her for giving us an opportunity to help her fight her hunger. We should treat every such opportunity as a chance given by god. One who follows all such good things and makes them his deeds in his/her day to day life; he attains Brahmacharya in deed. It builds character. teaches morals and makes us strong in values
However, to achieve all round celibacy the first and foremost step is to achieve success in Physical Celibacy. But in today's world it's a herculean task to hold your vital fluids within yourself for long. Reason is the corruption of human mind, loss of moral values, and degradation of social and cultural ethics in our society.
Well, we have discussed enough of this theoretically, let me go to practical experiences now.
My Real Life Experience:-
Few months back when i read the glories of Brahmacharya, i became so motivated with it, that i started pushing myself towards the same. For me, by God's grace diversions in thoughts do not occur without my wish. As per the teachings on the same i wanted to attain Akhanda Brahmacharya which of course takes 12 years of hard work and if i marry i can't attain the same. But till that time if i can follow this path i would be the happiest person on the earth. For this, foremost thing is, not to allow the vital fluids to get wasted since this is the fluid which makes or mars one's spiritual life. This liquid when held within, shows you the path of salvation and on the other hand if released out, leads you to the doorstep of hell. So for me the first important thing was to close the tap completely. By god's grace i was successful for a week to 10 days. But again when the kundalini energy gets excessively accumulated in the Muladhara Chakra, and we do not know how to transmute it, metabolism of our body, in order to regulate and maintain itself, leaks it out without our permission in our deep sleep. So, to avoid such embarrassments i was searching for some techniques to transmute the excess energy which gets formed gradually in our body. I found the following tricks in Orkut forums (Thanks to Dr. Gandhi) which proved highly helpful for me to achieve my goal.
Sure Fire Techniques:-
Below are listed some sure fire techniques to achieve physical Brahmacharya.
Ashwini Mudra Method:-
- Contract your anus and hold it as long as possible
- While you are holding the anus contracted, make your sexual energy located at the lower Chakras to move up towards and into your head .this can be done by moving your attention along the spine upwards repeatedly and trying to feel for the energy moving up the spine.
- If at first, even if you don't feel any thing; continue, gradually after some days you will really perceive the energy moving up your spine with this technique
- Repeat this tracking the energy up the spine 30-60 times, while holding the anus contracted through out the whole procedure (for me doing 5-10 tracking(s) itself works fine. This may vary from one individual to another)
- Do this daily to maintain Brahmacharya easily. By doing this technique daily i found that any unfavorable circumstance out side ,cannot disturb my Brahmacharya.
- Some amount of energy in lower Chakras is required for daily work (yogis say that for every work, some amount of energy is drawn from the base of spine). Don't over do this transmutation because excess transmutation will cause weakness , 30-60 tracking(s) up is alright and doesn't cause weakness for some people. It may vary from person to person
- Also doing this before sleeping will surely prevent wet dreams
- This technique will keep the mind pure and you will notice a considerable decrease in lust
- After doing this technique if you have time, try doing some sort of meditation at least for 10 minutes. 'Bhramari Mudra of Pranayama gives great peace to mind, I do this and find my mind totally settled and find great peace). Meditation is not compulsory, but it's nice to have thing. Doing meditation will remove any feeling of tiredness you may get if you do excess transmutation. And also meditation helps transmutation of sexual energy according to literature
Tibetan rite 6 Method (very spontaneous and results oriented):-
With this technique, even with out trying to move the sexual energy up, as with Ashvini Mudra technique , you could feel the energy moving up spontaneously after doing this rite 6.
The purpose of the Tibetan rite 6 exercise is to redirect the excess of sexual and reproductive energy, generated by the activity of the base Chakra (Muladhara) to all higher Chakras along the spine.
The technique is as follows:
- Stand comfortably and exhale as you bend from the waist, placing your hands on your knees
- Expel the last bit of air from your lungs and without taking in new breath, return to an erect position
- Place your hands on your hips, with fingers to the front and press as hard as you can while sucking in the abdomen
- This will raise your shoulders and chest. While holding in the abdomen, also squeeze the pubococcygeal muscle* up to emphasize the upward thrust
- Hold this position and bring your closed eyeballs to the point between the eyebrows so that all this lower Chakric energy will rise up to the highest centers
- When you must take a breath, breathe in through your nose and then exhale through the mouth as you drop your arms down to your sides to relax
- Take in several normal breaths through the nose and mouth before beginning again
Pubococcygeus* muscle is that muscle which helps in stopping the urination in between. Try to see the working of it while you urinate and trying to stop the stream in between.
According to Lamas this exercise should NOT be practiced excessively, otherwise this exercise does more harm than benefit, by draining the energy from the base Chakra. As per Dr. Gandhi's experience, if you do this exercise excessively you will experience weakness and a feeling of inability to express emotions. Doing this exercise once or twice a day doesn't cause any of these side effects. Before sleeping, I do this exercise 5 times and I feel comfortable with it. Try to find out by experimenting how frequently you can do this exercise with out these side effects
The above methods shield you when you are awake and also expected to shield when you are asleep also. But to be on safer side, i also pray to god before sleeping to protect me from all evil and keep monitoring me. Prayers to God have really helped me on top of those methods. I feel very much peaceful, focused, and happy to have no Vikaara. Brahmacharya gives a very good feeling. It makes us free from all diversions, our mind remains focused on our work, uplifts us spiritually to higher plains, and gives a divine level of peacefulness.
I'm thankful to god in helping me through out the way and still he is helping in all the ways. "Love you my Lord Shiva!! I'm always grateful to you for showing me this great path. Let me never aberrate from this path and let me finally reach you".